Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Student turned Author?

Today saw the completion of one of my assignments, namely that of my Spirituality for Ministry class.
For this assignment, we (my classmates and I) each had to choose a topic relevant to our own ministry. For me, that meant that I could write on a topic that was close to me. It is a topic I’ve posted here before – Discipleship. In this assignment, I’ve explored four different aspects of Discipleship…
  • As Spirituality (how Discipleship affects the individual)

  • As Community (how Discipleship affects a small group setting)

  • As Evangelism (taking Discipleship to the masses)

  • And as Ecclesiology (how Discipleship affects the Church)
To be quite honest, once I got going I was having an absolute blast writing up this assignment. But I quickly discovered that I was limited to my word count. Instead of my limit of 1500 words, I found myself wanting to write a whole heap more on the subject. Given the choice, I would most likely have written not only more than 1500 words, but explored more than the four points I’ve mentioned. As I’ve said previously: Discipleship is a passion topic for me. But if I’ve found myself wanting – and doing – more than 1500 words, then I’m doing something right!
At some stage in my life, hopefully sooner rather than later, I’d like to write a book on this subject. I’d like to write a book exploring Discipleship in today’s 21st Century Church, look at where things are going right, where things are going wrong, and seek to find a resolute. That’s my plan, but to be honest, I have no idea how to write a book. I know it sounds stupid, but man is it true. I’ve talked to Steve Taylor about writing a book, and his advice for me was to just “write”. I guess things like blogging are great ways to practice my writing skills.
Who knows? There might just be an author in me yet. Watch this space!

No comments: