Thursday, September 15, 2005

Hearing From God

I am currently in a state of confusion. Not in the sense that I have absolutely no idea of what to do with my life. Nor in the sense that there are a billion things floating around in my head, unable to focus on one single thought. I am confused about how to hear from God.
Some of you reading this post may think that I haven’t enough faith, and so it’s no wonder I cannot hear from him. I’ve had that told to me a couple of times in the distant past. I know from various past experiences in my Christian pilgrimage that I have felt the tugging of the Holy Spirit, or a picture or vision that has seldom failed. But at present, I am confused. And I’ll tell you why…
As most of you know, my girlfriend and I ended our relationship last weekend. Despite breaking up, we both believe that this is the best thing for us, and that the only foolish thing would be to lose the friendship. And believe me – there’s no way I’d ever want to lose that! But since that time, I have felt the Lord speaking to me. I can only describe it as the Lord…yet I have absolutely no idea what He’s trying to tell me. I admit that I lack the discernment able to discover firstly, is it God speaking. And secondly, if it is Him, what is He trying to communicate to me.
It is difficult to express in words exactly what I’m feeling. I think confusion is the best single word I can put down. I know I’m not alone in this – a lot of people would like to know “secrets into hearing from God”. Sorry, but I’m afraid I don’t know any. All I know is that God speaks to people in different ways, and as I have discovered, ways in which are sensitive to the individual. I used “pictures and visions” because that is the primary way I hear from God. Yet this “tugging” has nothing to do with pictures! So I constantly ask to God in prayer: If this is You, what are you trying to tell me?

1 comment:

Warwick Tomlinson said...

I wouldnt dare say that you have no faith. Just be patient. God waited for you, the least you can do is wait on him.