Tuesday, September 20, 2005

My Calling, My Issue

Today was probably one of the best classes I’ve had for “Spirituality for Ministry”. In class, we had two different ‘interactive’ components, both of which were similar to the Myers-Briggs indicators we did earlier in the semester. One indicator was on our particular gifting (it wasn’t an exhaustive list, just a basic one), and the other was on our core values. My post is mainly touching on the former.
To my surprise, the gifting indicator was reflective of what I am most passionate about. Rather than be strong in one area, I had two. These were:
  • Teaching

  • Stimulating the Faith of Others
If I had to simplify the second one, I would use the word discipleship. For me, one thing that is so incredibly close to my heart is strengthening fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. For me this is definitely a good thing; it’s as if I have identified my calling (see previous posts). But I was on my way home via the Orbiter bus route, having a chat to God, and this is what came out…

I realise that the Christian walk is far, far bigger than my two gifts. Yet when I look at the world, and see/hear about things like injustice issues, oppression, the poor and needy and the like, I do not feel passionate about these things. Do these issues – and more like them – concern me? For sure! Would I like to do something about them? You bet! Is it an area of passion for me? The answer for me would be ‘no’. Does that make me any less of a committed Christian? I sure hope not.

Your comments are appreciated. How can I – a man incredibly passionate about building up fellow believers – reconcile the bigger picture of Jesus’ commands to His disciples?

No comments: