Friday, September 23, 2005

The 100-Minute Fiasco

I read a report in today’s Press. I had heard about it at my home group, but on page 5 of the World section its own report was to be found. I had expressed concern over it at cell group – briefly – and I make no bones about how I felt about it after reading this news report.
Basically, someone has written The 100-Minute Bible, a Bible – they say – gives the overall message without “the boring bits”. The “boring bits” by their definition, are where genealogies are recorded (Matthew 1, Numbers 1-5 et al.), as well as other areas that one would find ‘boring’. It also shortens parts of the Bible as well.
I have a beef against this, for several reasons…
One, I believe that the true message of the Bible is lost in this 100-Minute rewrite.
Two, the “boring bits” allow transition from one phase to another. For instance, a boring bit would be the genealogy of Noah’s descendants. And let’s face it: there are a lot of kids in Noah’s line. But this allows the reader to trace from Noah to Abraham! Similar genealogies trace from Abraham to Jesus – you get the idea.
Third, I also believe that this Bible has come about as a result of a narcissistic, “impatient” society. By that I mean that society as a whole is bent on getting quick, easy answers now! And this mindset has been transferred onto the Bible, and the Bible has been grossly attacked. I wouldn’t disagree that this 100-Minute Bible is very easy to read, but I would disagree that the original message has been retained. You only need to look at The Message to see what I mean.
Do I sound old-fashioned? Maybe I do. But I would prefer the complete work of the Logos, than settle for a vastly cut-down version of what looks like salvation. If the message – God’s Message - truly has been lost, then this 100-Minute Bible will not provide salvation.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah I see where you're coming from eh. I'd like to read this 100-minute bible. The sort of thing doesn't leave much room for the whole meta-narrative type thing but people these days don't seem to be into the big picture.

Perhaps though, we could see this 100-minute bible as a first step into learning the essence of the gospel message towards gaining a more in-depth knowledge of scripture. I dunno, I guess I'd have to read it to make that judgement in concrete.

Jared said...

However, as Barth points out is not the bible just ink on paper no different from any other book. At least not until the Holy Spirit illuminates the scriptures do they become the word of God. Therefore salvation could come upon a person from reading a condensed version of the bible. If it helps a person to pick up a bible then good on it.

If this person wishes to continue looking into the ways in which God moves then they should pick up the bible. A Christian should not rely upon it as giving an accurate representation of God. But to get people acquinated with the God of the gospel this is a good initiative.

ps posts like the first one above should be deleted immediately. For further details go here.

Pastor J said...

It has been deleted =)

Warwick Tomlinson said...

I wouldnt mind havin a look at this 'translation'. but you are right there is great importance in knowing where one comes from.
As a kiwi male i think one of the most important questions is Where do you come from? followed quickly by Do you know....?