Thursday, August 18, 2005

Values in Schools

I seem to be getting into the habit of buying The Press most mornings now, and today's front page had an interesting article.
There are growing concerns over the amount of violence that happens within schools. Verbal abuse at teachers/students alike, bullying, fighting and the like, are common in most schools nowadays. And even parents back up their children's actions! So the Government has proposed to launch a 'curriculum' into teaching good values in schools, to attempt to educate the masses in anti-violence of sorts.
Here's my rebuttal: We used to have such teaching in schools. When I was at primary school we used to have a small slot on Friday morning dedicated to 'Scripture'. Indeed, we have values being taught in schools (that is, until Labour abolished bibles in schools). I also understand that in America, the Ten Commandments have similarly been removed from schools as well.
Two points: First, why did the Government remove bibles in schools in the first place (a point of ignorance from me)? And secondly, what do they propose to replace that gap with? In other words, in teaching 'good' values, what in fact will be taught in this new curriculum?
I know I am biased in writing this post, but the Ten Commandments form the basis of the world's Code of Law systems. Why they were removed is beyond me, for we have seen - and are living through - a society attempting to establish its own foothold bereft of God.
Good luck!

1 comment:

Warwick Tomlinson said...

unfortunately we exist in a time when God is seen as a crutch for the weak rather than a friend to the broken.
Bible in schools is just a symptom of a society that searches harder for spirituality than for the God who invented it.
We will find out that values aren't taught at school the come from the home.
I don't know the answer to this problem, but i'll do my best to help fix it. Starting with keeping my house in order.