Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Discipleship

Discipleship.
It is my number one topic, and also my number one pet hate.
Earlier I made a post titled ‘My Calling’. If you have read that post (as well as my Real v Nominal post), then you will have some idea by now that I am big on the idea of Discipleship. I’m big on it for many reasons. First off, Jesus himself is the ultimate embodiment of Discipleship. He is indeed the man to emulate. If we are to take seriously His claim that ‘…if you have seen me, you have seen the Father [God]’, then surely it is worth our lives to reach this goal. By that token, Discipleship is concerned with becoming like Jesus; becoming Christlike!
Secondly, I’m big on it because someone has to be. There are 1,200,000,000 (out of 2,000,000,000) people in the world that profess to be Christians, yet live a lifestyle in the opposite direction. And to be honest, it frustrates me. My hope is that it frustrates you too.
Am I being too harsh? Is what I write in this post offensive? If this post strikes a chord with you, ask yourself: Why do I react the way I do? Is it because you simply don’t like the idea that there are ‘false’ Christians out there? Or, dare I ask, are you one of them?
For all I know, I might be part of the problem rather than its solution. I would much prefer to examine my life, identify the things in it that choke my walk with God, and proceed to do something about it.

Are you?

2 comments:

Warwick Tomlinson said...

I've been waiting for this blog for a while. Silly question time. Of the 1.2million people who say they are but in fact aren't how many of said christians are Catholics? (big c)
You are right we are called to make disciples of all men and the question remains, Do we fill this obligation.
Also if you ask this question of yourself, I would dare say that you are not part of the problem but are you being part of the solution? there is a difference

Pastor J said...

Hehe, I've never commented on my own blog before, but here goes.
Firstly, I'll correct you. You mentioned 1.2 million. It is in fact 1.2 billion.
I surely hope I'm playing a part as the solution. Although I realise I have weak points in my faith-journey, there are countless others out there (the 'nominal' I speak of) that don't give a stuff about God. They're pretty happy doing their own thing, turn up to Church each Sunday, and be 'cleansed'. Dare I say, this is the cancer of Western Christianity!
And as for the 'Big C' - I think there are approx 980 million members of the Catholic Church.