Thursday, August 04, 2005

A Personal Reflection on my past...

Y'know, I've come a long way in the past five years. Every time I think on this, it always makes me laugh. Not a laugh that is to say someone cracked a joke, but a laugh to say "woah - that was me?"
For those of you who have scanned my profile will know that I wasn't always a Christian. In fact, five years ago, Religion could stick it. I didn't want a bar of anything to do with God, and this stuff about Jesus was all folklore to me. If you are a non-believer reading this, you can easily relate to my past. Perhaps you can tell me that most weekends, you (or a mate of yours) throw a party. There's copious amounts of booze and spirits, lots of guys and girls, and no parents. The perfect weekend, wouldn't you say?
That was me, particularly when I was 15-18. I would go to a party, absolutely trash myself stupid (I could drink a whole bottle of Vodka and not puke), and try to get with some girl. How many parties have I been to? Lots. How many times have I gotten drunk? Too many times to count. Could you say I was an Atheist? Definitely. After all, I grew up in a divorced household that also couldn't give two shoots about Church. Were my teenage years wasted? You bet!
In a way, it's tragic that I write that last sentence, yet this is me, now 22 years of age, reflecting on my past. I know full well that I cannot change anything of my teenage years; I must live with what I've done. Do you, the reader, feel the same way? Sure, the beer and vodka are good at the time, but believe me - you're wasting your time and your money. There's far more to life than alcohol, cigarettes, and sex. You may or may not be scoffing at me right now. Fair enough. But ask yourself these two questions, and I'm ready to bet you'll get two very separate answers:
- Where do you want to be in five years from now?
- Where do you see yourself currently five years from now?

Don't make the same mistakes I did. Sure, I've learnt from them. As my profile says, I no longer drink. I've destroyed my Atheism completely. I grew up as an utter skeptic, and find that Jesus is who he says he is.
Reader, He is risen! He is alive and well, and waiting for you. And you, just as I did five years ago, can have a second chance at a far better life than this.

Please think about it...

1 comment:

Warwick Tomlinson said...

Amen preach it brother. If i knew then what i know now things would be very different. but i didn't and God forgives. Because of this there is no reason to beat ourselves up about our past. Praise God.