Wednesday, August 31, 2005

The Elderly

I love talking to elderly people. I say this because today I have been reminded of this fact.
I visited my old landlords after College today as a ‘catch-up’. Incidentally, they are the grandparents of my best mate, and I get on quite well with his family – always a plus. They are both in their early 80’s, and they have some awesome stories to share. It’s interesting to hear them when they talk, because Betty (the Grandmother) is the one who shares mostly about how God has worked in her life, and in the marriage that she and Harold share. Not to say of course, that Harold is less inclined to share his Godly stories. But what a breath of fresh air it was to visit them today. I had meant to see them since I moved out of my old flat, but never quite made it.
I love talking to them and listening to them for two reasons. There are more, but these are the main two. Firstly, I never got to know my grandparents, save one. I had always had a close relationship with Nana (Dad’s Mum), and I’ve had to deal with having a hole inside of me after her passing away last year, as you could imagine. Harold and Betty – in all respect – are the closest people I have to grandparents. They will never take the place of Nana, but wonderful it is, knowing I can call on them.
Secondly, it’s awesome to listen to the stories of where they’ve each come from, both as individuals and as Husband and Wife. Their stories absolutely reek of ‘Wisdom’. Of course I’m in a bit of a bind in that regard: whatever I’m going through, chances are it isn’t all that new to them =)
Praise God for the elderly. Society may not give them due credit, but I will always take my hat of to them. They are a blessing. Especially to a young pup like me.

No comments: