Thursday, August 25, 2005

A Reflection: My Relationship

I’m in something of a dichotomy.
As many of you may know (if you either know me or are a frequent visitor), my girlfriend and I aren’t on speaking terms. This isn’t me saying that we are “on the rocks” as such. She has taken time out from things to sort out areas and problems in her life, and I have – for my part – backed off to give her that time that she needs. Now usually, my reaction to something of this nature is to crawl up, go into a shell and go into a “woe is me” state. Instead, I’m doing the opposite.
Since the start of the weekend (when the ‘space’ began), I have coped quite well with the ordeal. Knowing full well that I can’t text, ring or meet her, instead of getting depressed, I’ve gone the other way; I’ve been having great day after great day. And to be honest, I don’t know why!
I mean not to sound all spiritual, but only by the Grace of God am I being sustained the way I am. Only by Him am I able to keep a brave vigil, facing every day with a smile like I have been. Yes, I worry about her. Yes, I care about her deeply. You bet I want to talk to her, find out how she is. Instead I can’t do that, for in caring for her I am backing off, for her sake.
That of course isn’t my dichotomy. The problem is, is that because I don’t want to lose her as my girlfriend (if possible), I also don’t want to arrive at a point in my life where I can live life without her. They say “absence makes the heart grow fonder”, but absence also runs the risk of taking away from the heart any feelings we have for each other, which is what I fear.
I fear that in her…and I fear that in myself. If at the end of two weeks our relationship ends, then may it end for the right reasons; not because our feelings disappear with time.

Your thoughts and prayers are always appreciated. Thank you to all who have prayed for us, and thank you in advance if you do from this day on.
The Grace of God be with you all.          

No comments: