Tuesday, August 30, 2005

A Lesson from Sonny

I have a workmate at Window Treatments by the name of Sonny. Allow me to tell you a bit about him…

Sonny is a kind, elderly Chinese man, about 60 years old (or ‘young’ as I tell him). He works in the Vertical Dept. as a track maker, and pretty adept at it. Sonny is someone whom you can have a gentle, peaceful discussion on. Sonny is also a Church-goer, attending a Presbyterian Church (I couldn’t tell you where sorry – I don’t quite know). Whenever Sonny has a question to do with Christianity (or Theology in general), I’m usually the first guy he comes to…mainly because I’m the only other Christian in the workplace (and there’s 50 people who work at the factory).
I also recently discovered that Sonny doesn’t have a friend as such. I found this out by asking him how his weekend was. He told me it was quite boring, and went on to tell me that he went to Church on the Sunday, and that was basically it! In other words, he didn’t do a thing in the weekend. I asked him why that was, and also a little bit about his Church (to the point, I asked him if there were small groups, or friends at the Church). It was that question that bore out the truth. My heart fell.
Here is a man who is 60 years old, and doesn’t know anything socially outside of work and Sunday service. It is no wonder my heart fell, and yet a question stuck in my mind: What am I to do? Essentially, there is probably nothing that I can do.
I write this post as a lesson we can all learn. For all we know, a ‘nobody’ in the eyes of society may wander into our Church doors without us even knowing it. In search of fellowship, of friendship, he instead finds loneliness, and leaves only to continue in his empty world. What a tragedy!
Sonny has asked me many questions, and I have managed to provide an answer for every one, satisfying his need. For once, I ask a question, and go away stumped.

My prayer is that Sonny can find a friend and fellowship. My prayer is that we can be a friend to those who have none.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I find christian apathy an incredibly stupid thing. I know we've been discussing the whole issue of people walking in and out of big churches (namely Spreydon) without anyone noticing but it's so not an isolated thing that happens at big churches. Small churches are exactly the same. People are naturally cliquey and it's soooo annoying. They're so happy in their inward facing circles. That said, I'm at fault a lot of the time too.

I really do hope and pray that Sonny finds a friend. He seems like a very sweet man.