Monday, November 07, 2005

The Blogger Returns

I recently had a look on the comments of my last post, and a great mate of mine has wondered – in paraphrase – why I haven’t posted in a while. The truth is, not a lot of interesting stuff – personally or theologically – has happened in my life. But wait no longer, for I have returned with a post no less! I’ll start off my outlining how my weekend has been.

My weekend was a pretty good one overall, apart from yet another lazy Sunday. Saturday was good though, apart from a lousy migraine. I went to work on Friday, as I do, and I was approached by a supervisor asking if I wanted to come in on Saturday morning, to which I said ‘yes’. Being a student, I need all the money I can lay my hands on, particularly with Christmas in seven weeks, not to mention my Dad’s birthday next week. So I turned up, knowing exactly what I was in for. We (the workplace) had a 40ft shipping container arrive earlier in the week, and there were five of us (including myself) tasked with emptying it out. Now here’s why I got a migraine: First, it was a hot day. Second, I’m in a 40ft container that is amplifying the heat with no wind whatsoever. And third, there was 15 tonnes of product to shift out of this aforementioned container. So you can imagine I had a “tonne” of fun. After doing that for four and a half hours, I came back home and well, had a migraine. At about 6 that night I went out to a BBQ with the 20’s group from Church. BBQ’s rock, as did the company. I had planned afterwards to head on out to Rolleston for the fireworks, but instead went “with the crowd” to New Brighton, as no-one was heading out to Rollas. Stink for me.

I had never been out to the New Brighton fireworks before, but this year changed all that. I went with a small bunch from the BBQ. Somehow we found a park (right on a street corner!!) and walked out to the pier. We got there just in time, and man what a display it was! I thought it was far too short, but for my first time out there I could hardly judge. The fireworks themselves were good, but I can’t say the same about the environment around. After staying on the beach for an hour afterwards, me and a mate decided we’d call it a night. So our “driver” per se walked us back to his car, but we passed through some stuff that I will never forget. Basically, the whole of New Brighton was cordoned off, so cars couldn’t drive round. So needless to say there was a massive turnout on Saturday. The vast majority of those present were teenagers. Now I don’t have a problem with teens – at some point in the past I was one (but man has that time been and gone) – but most of them were off their faces! A couple of them were throwing up, one outside a St. Johns ambulance (convenient), and one outside their mate’s car. And if they weren’t drunk, they were either violent, tagging, or accidentally hitting other people with fireworks. I don’t remember New Brighton being such a haven of drunkards five years ago (and I probably sound like some prehistoric dinosaur saying that), but man things have changed. And I saw all past night, and not just a classy fireworks display.

Sunday was an OK day. Went to a different Church for morning service to check it out. It was certainly an interesting service (a Pentecostal denomination it was), but I did enjoy the message given. Al Furey (who was visiting at the time, other than that he’d spent a lot of time in Cuba) gave a message on “Building your house”, and sadly I forget the text he used. But he used the term “house” to define generational bloodline, not just a physical act of building a house. And it got me thinking about my “house”. I am the only Christian in my family (unless my quest for genealogy records proves otherwise), and thus I have the chance to build my house, and to build it under the Lord’s guidance and purpose. I never grew up in a Christian house, and so never knew the love of God in my growing years. But I have the opportunity (when the time comes) to share with my future kids the love of God that has so touched me over these last four years. Anyways, I went to my Church’s evening service, and it felt good to be back in familiar territory. The message was a good one, based around Prayer.

Phew! That was some post. If you’ve made it this far you’ve done very well! And sorry to those who visit my blog but haven’t had anything new to read. I’ll try to be more frequent next time round.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

considering i haven't finished my assignment i should be doing it but i figure that reading your blog is a good enough form of procrastination...

NB fireworks can be quite a danger eh. I remember going in 6th form when they were called off. My friend was concussed after getting wasted by some violent dudes. It was crazy. I've never been since...

Anyway, nice to see you have something for us to read. Hope all's well :)