Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Christmas Has Come Early!


Some time ago, I attended a Men's Breakfast organised by the blokes of my church. As these breakfasts usually involve great company and...let's face it...FOOD...I signed up and went. I mean, come on: bacon and eggs, and the rest. What more do I need to say?

Actually, quite a bit. As well as the event being a Men's Breakfast, it was also the chance for the men of the church to get to know our latest acquisition to the Pastoral Team, one Alan Jamieson. On the many occasions I've heard Alan speak, I observe a speaker with a no-nonsense, practical approach to preaching the Word. That is definitely something I do appreciate - getting stuck into not only what the Word is, but what the Word can do in our everyday lives.

But that's not all. During the breakfast, we the men got to "interview" Alan with whatever questions we could come up with. I forget the questions themselves, but I do remember this one thing in particular. Alan spoke of the "feminising" of today's church; a church culture that seems to be better at feeding the women, but not so the men. And he also mentions the book Why Men Hate Going To Church.

And thanks to a very good friend of mine, I now have said publication in my hot little hands. Temporarily mind you, but nevertheless, I have it! And believe me: this book will be heavily devoured.

Ever since Alan mentioned this book, I have wanted to get my hands on this book and read it for myself. Putting Alan's observations aside, I have also been left wondering where the men of the church are. As well as that, I have been pondering this little question, and I wonder if other men have as well. The question is this: How does a man demonstrate his love for Christ...when Christ is himself a man? In other words, how does a man tell another man he loves him? Or what does this love look like manifested in the life of a man?

No comments: