Wednesday, October 12, 2005

My Generation cf The Next Generation

I was going to write this post up last week, but never quite got round to it, so here we go…
Last week at my home group saw the final chapter of the “Decisions” bible study we were working through. I had the privilege of leading this particular night, but before we got under way we ‘broke the ice’ with our happenings for the week, and David (our leader) mentioned the recent Bali bombings. What he said was quite freaky, and this is the basis of my post. Definitely worth thinking about.
Twenty years ago, terrorist attacks – especially of this frequency – were unheard of. Islam was a religion seldom mentioned here in the West. Around about the time I was born the world was (relatively) a safe place to live in. But these days things have changed. Ever since the events of September 11 the world was moved into a completely new direction. No longer is there a thing called safety. Islam is now making headlines throughout the world. Terrorism happens every week, every day! You cannot get away with buying the paper and not reading about some sort of terror attack. The world has changed.
Here’s the freaky bit: as I said, when I was growing up these events were unheard of. Terrorism in my childhood was not the norm. But the next generation is growing up with sound knowledge of all these awful events, and they will grow up thinking that this is the norm. Why? Because this is the environment they have been exposed to. To them, this will be the new norm.
I wonder, what will the world be like for the next next generation?

1 comment:

Warwick Tomlinson said...

Its a scary thing i agree, but i think that as every generation is thrown the curve-ball of a new situation it also seems to find another way of coping (is that the right word?) with it.

The thing that stands out for me is that while these things happen there is a glimmer of hope when people stand up 1/ to look after each other. and 2/ fight to understand and cancel out the threat that they are exposed to.

There is hope for modern man yet.