Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Culture Shock

Today was one of the more unique days at College.
On Saturday a group of us students are heading off to Akaroa (pray for sunshine) for the day, and the reason being that we are visiting a Marae. The last time I stepped onto a Marae was when I was about ten, and that was out at Pages Road. Anyway, we had a class today which was a rundown of protocol (sort of a “how-to” of Marae events), and yes…we even got to sing!
The last time I remember singing Maori songs was back at my primary school (loooong time ago), and even then I hadn’t really had a good grasp on the Maori language. Mind you, from an early age I was taught that I didn’t go to school to sing, I went to school to learn.
So fast forward to today. I’m my own person, with my own choices. And I have indeed chosen to sing. And I tell you what: there’s nothing like singing to God in another language. It’s actually quite a rewarding experience, so I can’t wait to step onto this Marae, for the first time in twelve years, singing this song of praise and welcoming one another…

He honore                      (all honour)
He kororia                      (all glory)
Maungarongo                (peace)
Ki te whenua                 (over all the earth)
Whakaaro pai e            (goodwill)
Ki nga tangata katoa    (to all people)

Ake ake                        (forever, forever)
Amine                          (amen)

Te Atua                       (to God)
Te piringa                    (our desire)

Toku oranga                (our well being)

No comments: