Wednesday, October 26, 2005

The Last-Minute Rush

With November fast catching up in the calendar year, it is becoming apparent to me that I still have much to do academically!
November 1 used to be an ‘historic’ landmark. Because of the nature of my out-of-studies work (being in a factory involved in mass production), I always defined November 1 as the start of the “Christmas Period”, the infamous eight-week period where production seems to triple from nowhere, pushing man and machine to their limits. Tempers fly, screws come loose, stuff breaks down (albeit at the worst possible time), but at the end of the day it’s a job well done…for eight weeks! Thankfully, my “Christmas Period” doesn’t start until November 28, but the time at Window Treatments that will be spent full-time will be hard enough.
But that’s not what I’m talking about in my blog. November 1 will mark a different landmark. Even now, I am being made aware of the assignments and essays that are still outstanding. I’m sure I’m not alone in this camp. I’m sure that there are others rowing this boat, scrambling frantically to hand in essays before their due date, tying up loose ends with regard to fieldwork, and making sure their PGM is up-to-date. Compared to this, the exams seem like child’s play.
I don’t know about you, whoever you are reading this, but I’m looking forward to exams. I know that when I reach that lovely hallmark that is November 1, I will look back on the year and find that I have grown so much; spiritually, academically, relationally…I can’t name a facet of my life that hasn’t been changed. And yet, I still have so far to go…and I don’t mean two years of study.
I’m sure my workmates will cope with November 1 and beyond. After all, we get a lovely company-paid spit roast on December 23! But as for me, I will be joining them on November 28. For the time being, I’ve got essays to write up and hand in. I’ve got a Diploma to pass and then throw away – spending my credits on the Degree instead.

No comments: