Sunday, April 09, 2006

A Step Forward For Genealogy



Ever since the first few opening weeks of my Spirituality for Ministry class (latter half of last year), I've developed something of a taste for Genealogy. I have conducted numerous internet searches for my forebearers and turned up nothing. The best I can do is get an exhaustive list of migrants to America, which of course doesn't help me. After countless efforts (and failures!) to establish something of a link, last Thursday marked a significant step forward, one in which I aim to build upon.
The image at the top is my Coat of Arms. I got that image after - by accident - stumbling upon a stall at Northlands offering the historical origins of a myriad of last names. Me, being curious and incredibly interested, checked it out, and walked away with an A3-sized 'history of my name', framed. Having gotten a hold of where (and when) my surname originated from, I have at least something to trace back to. I've also been informed by my sister that my Dad holds a wealth of family records, so no doubt I'm going to touch-base with Dad something in the very near future.
After nearly half a year of failures, things are starting to look a tad brighter. Hopefully I can check back with some more info after visiting Dad. But for now, I at least know of my Coat of Arms, as well as its history (and what a history it is as well).

No comments: